Rail Hostlers perform a variety of assignments related to Light Rail and non-revenue vehicle maintenance, cleaning and servicing. Rail Hostlers will work collaboratively with Rail Operators and Controllers to effect timely dispatch of high quality revenue service. Employees working this position must possess a Class "B" VA Commercial Driver's License. Rail Hostler employees use a multitude of hand tools, equipment, chemicals, cleaning agents, forklift trucks and company vehicles in the performance of the essential job functions.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Operates Light Rail Vehicles within the confines of the storage yard and maintenance building. Operates a variety of non-revenue equipment in varying operating situations as required.
• Performs light maintenance and inspection on revenue and non-revenue vehicles as assigned.
• Responsible for configuring yard arrangement and vehicle configuration for timely service pull-out. Reports vehicle locations to OCC on a regular basis. Uses various forms of data and paper or electronic forms in the performance of this function.
• Responsible for the replenishment of vehicle consumables including but not limited to; traction sand, windshield washer fluid, lubricants and the like. Records usage on a vehicle basis.
• Adheres to the highest quality and safety standards while meeting original equipment manufacturer's requirement in the performance of all job responsibilities.
• Performs light and heavy vehicle cleaning using a variety of cleaning equipment.
• Must meet ongoing educational, training and DOT requirements and maintain On Track Equipment Certification to be retained in the position.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Written and verbal communication. Must be able interpret and carry out verbal and written assignments.
• Problem analysis and resolution skills.
• Ability to perform light maintenance repair.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities/priorities simultaneously.
• Must meet established Hampton Roads Transit goals and work standards.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Microsoft Windows and ability to learn the SPEAR maintenance Management System
Training and/or Education:
High School Diploma or GED
Five (5) years of progressively responsible employment history.
Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements.
• Ability to pass Rail Operations Rule Book examination, physical agility examinations, and successfully complete Equipment Training/Certification Programs and rail vehicle equipment training. Must complete training and demonstrate proficiency in light rail vehicle operation.
• Must successfully complete all job related training and educational programs to retain employment in the position.
• Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
• This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to perform heavy manual labor, frequently lifting up to 80 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds with the assistance of applicable equipment or other employees.
• Must be able to work from heights with the assistance of proper safety equipment
• Ability to work in all outdoor weather conditions.
• Exposure to dirt, grease, sand, oil and various chemicals.
• Ability to meet hearing requirements of 0-20db
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties will require working weekends and Holiday.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates can apply online at http://gohrt.com/employment/ or use one our application kiosk at Hampton Roads Transit offices Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm at 3400 Victoria Boulevard, Hampton, VA 23661 or 509 E 18th Street, Norfolk, VA 23504.
You must submit an application for each position.
For more information, call our job information line at 757-222-6003.
Join the HRT driving force -- People Moving People
Hampton Roads Transit is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Do NOT contact this job poster with unsolicited services or offers.